24/7 Rapid Response
Like Our Service?

September 8th, 2015

If a gas leak is indeed present in your home or building, both electric and fire sources become dangerous, because both can react with gas to form an explosion. So, if you think you smell a gas leak, you should not turn on any electrical switches or light a flame of any kind. This advice may seem like common sense, but it is very important to remember because it can be difficult to think clearly in a time of panic.

How do you detect a gas leak?

The common sign of a leak is the smell of gas in your home. But there are also particular physical symptoms you may suffer from if there is a leak.

If you are feeling light headed, ill, dizzy or nauseous you should go outside immediately. If the symptoms go away in the fresh air you could be feeling the effect of a gas leak or carbon monoxide poisoning.

There can also be some clear signs from your household appliances that can indicate a leak, even if you can’t smell gas.

  • Always look for a crisp blue flame, rather than an orange or yellow flame.
  • Likewise, look out for a pilot light that always seems to blow out.
  • On the outside of the appliance watch for soot or any black or brown scorched areas around your appliances.

What should I do if I smell gas?

The first step is to turn off the gas supply at your gas meter. The valve that regulates the flow of gas can sometimes be difficult to locate and/or hard to access. That is why you should always familiarize yourself with its location especially if you are in a new property or have recently made changes to the layout.

The next step is to get fresh air into your home to help disperse the gas. Open all windows and doors and leave them open to ensure air flow.

Avoid using any electrical switches, as the sparks could cause an explosion.

Once you have taken this steps and dealt with the imminent danger, it is time to call in the experts. Contact your natural gas supplier and a plumber to check your home for safety.